They Saw Different Things
on Tuesday May 30th, 2017, By Aaliyah

Dorothy Jane Scott disappeared on May 28, 1980, in California. Her remains were found four years later, with only a mysterious caller for a suspect.

Dorothy Jane Scott

Primary Information

Scott was a 32-year-old single mother, living in Stanton, California, with her aunt, and a 4-year-old son. She was a secretary for an Anaheim, California store that sold psychedelic items (i.e. love beads, lava lamps,etc). Co-workers and friends said she preferred staying at home, was a devout Christian, and did not drink or do drugs. Her parents, who lived in Anaheim, babysat their grandson while Scott worked. Scott’s father, Jacob, said his daughter may have dated on occasion but had no steady boyfriend that the family knew of.

Prior to abduction

Months before her abduction, Scott had been receiving anonymous phone calls at work from an unidentified male. She told her mother she recognized the voice but couldn’t remember the man’s name,(other sources suggested she never recognised the voice but the opinions vary). The caller alternately told Scott of his love and devotion and threatened to kill her (An actual quote from the man)-“Ok, now you’re going to come my way, and when I get you alone, I will cut you up into bits so no one will ever find you.” The man also said he’d been stalking her, and provided accurate details of her day-to-day life to prove it.

Scott’s mother said one call especially horrified her daughter. The man reportedly told Scott he would get her alone – and when he did, he would dismember her. Because of the calls, Dorothy considered buying a handgun; about a week before her disappearance, she began taking karate lessons.

Disappearance and Murder

On May 28, 1980, after taking a fellow employee to the ER for treatment of a spider bite, Dorothy left the lobby to pull her car around front. Her companions waited for her to arrive, but it took quite a while. When they finally spotted her car, it was traveling at a high speed and promptly took a sharp right out of the parking lot.
They were left puzzling over Dorothy’s strange behavior—perhaps she needed to get her son or there was an emergency of her own. Except several hours later, Dorothy Jane Scott’s car was found about 10 miles away in an alley. It was burning and abandoned, no body was discovered in the vehicle and there was no trace of Dorothy to be found.
Dorothy’s family was advised to stay quiet about her disappearance in regards to the media. A week after she went missing, her mother Vera received a phone call. “Are you related to Dorothy Scott?”, when she replied yes, the caller said, “I’ve got her.” . Then hung up.

This taunting behavior repeated as weeks went on.


Almost four months later, a construction worker discovered both, dog and human remains in some bush. With the bones was a turquoise ring and a watch that had stopped at May 29, 1980, 12:30 a.m.
Dorothy’s mother identified the ring as having belonged to her daughter.

Mysterious phone calls

A week after the bones had been positively identified as Dorothy Scott and an announcement was run in the local newspaper, her family got two more phone calls from the same mysterious caller, asking only in a knowing voice:

“Is Dorothy home?”

Every Wednesday until the spring or summer of 1984, an unidentified man would call Vera Scott, Dorothy’s mother. He said either that he had Dorothy or had killed her. The calls were usually brief, and usually occurred when Vera was home alone. In April 1984, the man called during the evening; Jacob Scott answered. The calls stopped after that.

Police installed a voice recorder at the Scott residence. They weren’t able to trace the calls however, because the man never stayed on the line long enough.



The same caller would tease her family about “having” Dorothy and eventually confessed to a radio station.

“I killed her. I killed Dorothy Scott. She was my love.”

He went on to describe details that hadn’t been released to the press—Dorothy’s red scarf she wore that night, her coworker’s spider bite. The calls finally stopped in 1984.


Definitely into memes

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published